Monday, April 16, 2007

#18 Custom Search Engines

I really liked the Google search engine much more than the Rollyo engine. The Google page was much cleaner, didn't have the sponsored links, and listed the "phrase search" results before the other results. (I searched "library cards" and the phrase results listed first were much more meaningful than the results listed first in the Rollyo engine.)

The Rollyo engine results page was more cluttered, with the advertising links listed amongst the regular results. The results page was very confusing--and with surprising results. When I searched "library card" my first hit was from the SPL catalog--which listed a children's picture book.

I created my own custom search engine, using Google. It searches Boing Boing, The Stranger, Metacritic, Village Voice, and the Advocate. Here's the link to the page:

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=015953780373495794160%3A03oqgkcldkq

Interesting exercise.

No comments: