Monday, April 2, 2007

Numero Fifteen--Wiki means Quick!

Well, I didn't know Wiki is hawaiin for "quick". Now I know. I looked at many of the Wikis listed, and I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed. They seemed like they were sites where a few people had decided to create a Wiki, and posted some things, but then they withered away. The library wikis seemed to have a lot of dead ends, and the postings were not very interesting. I found the Stevens County Library (northeastern Washington State) interesting--because it seemed like it might be a good idea for a rural area like that to have a Wiki. But there wasn't much there. (not much there on the Wiki--not that there's not much there in Stevens County:-)

Anyway, I'm sure we could create some interest group Wikis on our Intranet, and have one for the reference librarians, the youth librarians, even the administration. But I'm not sure it will really be successful. It seems like you need a community of people dedicated and interested in creating and maintaining the Wiki.

I must say, though, that I LOVE the Wikipedia, and I use it all the time. It's the cadillacs of the Wikis!

No comments: